Last Look June 2022
“Sun is shining, the weather is sweet. Make you want to move your dancing feet.”—Sun is Shining by Bob Marley
Did You Know?
- The Tower Theatre opened on November 7, 1940 with the film Too Many Girls featuring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
- It was the last major downtown construction before WWII.
- It was remodeled and reopened in 1955 with the film Strategic Air Command starring James Stewart.
- The City acquired the Tower Theatre in 1989 as a donation from Angelo K. Tsakopoulous for the cultural enrichment of Roseville residents.
- The City renovated the theater and it reopened in 2003 as a 260-seat theater in the round.
- Several theater groups operated there over the years via a partnership with the City.
- The Tower Theatre was sold to Hillsdale College in February of 2022. Hillsdale College is still developing their plan for activation of the space but ultimately it will continue to be used for the benefit of the arts and for educational purposes.
—Brian Jacobson, Public Information Officer, City of Roseville, roseville.ca.us