A Healthy Mind-Body
Dec 30, 2009 05:04AM
By Wendy Sipple
Photo by Trevor Allen
Here are 5 easy things families and individuals can do to create a healthy MIND-BODY:
- Take a break from the local news. This constant bombardment by negative stimuli has been shown to add to stress and general discontent.
- Take a walk with a different family member outside at least once a week. You will not only get exercise, but also allow a time to come away from the shallowness of everyday chaos.
- Buy and bring home fresh flowers once a month. This can have a profound effect on the mind-body health connection.
- Laugh every day. Laughter lowers stress hormones and promotes a healthy immune system.
- Get at least 7 hours of quality, restorative sleep each night. Studies show less depression, anxiety, and improved weight management and cognitive function when you get good sleep.
–Mark Holthouse, M.D.
Center for Functional and Integrative Medicine
3104 Ponte Morino Dr, Suite 110
Cameron Park, 530-676-1003