Skip to main content

Style Magazine

Ask the Experts: Where’s a Good Place to Start if I Want to Update my Home with Lighting?

Q: Where’s a good place to start if I want to update my home with lighting?
A: Since we spend most of our time in the kitchen, it’s a great place to start a lighting update. Replacing the drop-down fluorescent box or PAR (Parabolic Aluminized Reflector) bulb lighting with new LED trims will make a huge impact and update to your home. We recommend a color temperature ranging from 2700-3000 Kelvin. Next, layer in decorative pendants and add under-cabinet lighting, which places light directly on a work surface. Lastly, utilizing dimmers where you can gives you the most flexibility between task and mood lighting.
—Kathy McDavid
Lighting Unlimited
2522 Merrychase Drive, Cameron Park, 530-676-4716,

Q: Does water flossing replace regular flossing?
A: No, because water flossing doesn’t remove plaque in areas where the teeth have contact (like where you feel the floss snap when pulling it down in between your teeth). Water flossing is great for use along the gum line and in embrasure spaces (the V-shaped spaces between teeth) and should be used in conjunction with regular flossing.
—Baban Mahal, DDS
6049 Douglas Boulevard, Suite 9, Granite Bay, 916-791-4133,