Sumptuous Recipes Heating Up Style's International Kitchen
Select recipes from 150 Best Indian Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes and 300 Best Taco Recipes
(page 3 of 5)
Cambodian Pork & Lemongrass Curry
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Medium (approx. 4 quart) slow cooker
Heat Rating: 2
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped lemongrass (see Tips)
- 1 tbsp. minced gingerroot
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. crushed fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 lbs. trimmed pork shoulder or blade (butt), cut into 1-inch cubes and patted dry (see Tips)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste (see Tips)
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 8 baby new potatoes, quartered
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 long red chile pepper, thinly sliced
1. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, lemongrass, gingerroot, garlic, cumin, fenugreek and turmeric and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add pork and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Stir in tamarind paste, lime zest and juice, coconut milk and potatoes. Cover and cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours or on High for 1 and 1⁄2 to 2 hours, until potatoes are cooked and pork is meltingly tender. Stir in bell peppers and chile pepper. Cover and cook on High for 15 minutes, until peppers are tender. Ladle into warm bowls.
Serve with fluffy rice. Before chopping the lemongrass, be sure to remove the tough outer leaves. Many butchers sell cut-up pork stewing meat, which is fine to use in this recipe. Be sure to use tamarind paste (sometimes labeled “concentrate”), which comes in a jar. Tamarind in a block needs to be dissolved in water and pressed through a sieve to remove seeds and pulp before being added to recipes and, therefore, becomes more diluted in flavor and texture.
Above recipe excerpted from 150 Best Indian Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes by Sunil Vijayakar © 2012 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.