Sumptuous Recipes Heating Up Style's International Kitchen
Select recipes from 150 Best Indian Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes and 300 Best Taco Recipes
Photos courtesy of Roberta Rose © 2012 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
(page 1 of 5)
150 Best Indian Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes by Sunil Vijayakar
(Robert Rose, 2012, $27.95, www.robertrose.ca)
Spiced Chickpea Curry
Vegan Friendly, Serves 4
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Small (2 to 3 1⁄2 quart) slow cooker
Heat Rating: 3
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced on the vertical
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (see Tips, left)
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (see Tips)
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, lightly whisked
1. In a skillet or wok, heat oil over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Add curry powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne and turmeric and stir-fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add water and stir well.
2. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, with juice, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until mixture is hot and bubbly. Stir in mint.
3. To serve, divide spinach evenly among four shallow bowls and top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with yogurt and serve immediately.
Serve this with steamed rice and/or an Indian bread such as naan. As noted, this recipe is fiery. For a less incendiary dish, reduce the cayenne pepper to 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 tsp.
For this quantity of chickpeas, cook 1 cup dried chickpeas or use 1 can (14 to 19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
Above recipe excerpted from 150 Best Indian Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes by Sunil Vijayakar © 2012 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.